Here we are, marching in the Intergalactic Krewe of Chewbacchus 2015.
Photo credit: Enigma Arts Photography
So, New Orleans has this crazy vibe during Carnival season. On a scale between “a literal city” and “Burning Man”, it ranks somewhere around “the square root of WTF”, with parades running first on weekends, then increasing to every day as Mardi Gras approaches. So naturally, I figured the best way to experience this would be to dive right in. When I heard that the Kaiju Flambeaux Corps was looking for people to march in radio-synchronised LED suits, I jumped at the chance.
A good portion of any lit costume like this is finding a garment to use. Our parameters were something relatively-translucent and white. I found a dinner jacket on Amazon, then ordered it from the manufacturer’s website for about $10 less.
Okay, so I have some bad news and some good news.
At least he got the case.
The bad news is that somewhere between LAX and SFO, the box containing the Blinkenlights prototype and the Glowbek mysteriously disappeared. Despite having my address clearly labelled on the package, it was not found or returned.
The good news is that this gives me all the more reason to step up my game. Glowbek 2.0 won’t be an Arduino and a prototyping board; it will be its own PCB. Blinkenlights 3.0 will be USB-programmable/chargeable and have its own battery. And in the meantime, I had to whip up something for another party, because being a darkwad just doesn’t appeal to me :)
“I am the one who drums”
– probably not this guy
In software development there is a type of defect called a heisenbug. It is named after the physicist Werner Heisenberg, who stated that the more precisely a particle’s momentum is measured, the less precisely its position can be known, and vice-versa. Likewise, a heisenbug is one which disappears when you add code or try to debug it using external tools.
When I posted about the intermittent problem with the Glowbek, I had no idea whether it was a hardware or software defect. Turns out, it was somewhere in the middle.
Boom boom doum… bek.
The results are in: an Arduino connected via header pins, and loosely-attached prototyping boards are insufficient to handle being carried and played while dancing. It did, however, prove sturdy enough to be transported, handled, and played around a campsite.